Saturday, March 17, 2012

South Africa Part 5

Having only 4 days in Cape Town, I decided to sign up for a tour of the Cape Peninsula on my first day. This was with the Baz Bus company which I would later use for the trip up the east coast. With driver and tour guide Roger, we first headed south along Chapman's Peak Drive, then took in the cape fur seals at Hout Bay, crossed over to Simon's Town to see a colony of penguins that had decided to make it their home, then headed down to the Cape for a bit of cycling. After lunch, we walked between Cape Point and The Cape of Good Hope. Roger threw down a challenge to us. Apparently each time he takes out a group there is the offer to try and break the record for running between the top of the escarpment, down to the beach and back up again. There were no takers but he told us the record holder was an Australian. I at once thought of our training at Gallipoli.



Beautiful cape fur seals, and so many too.



We have a dog at home that looks a bit like this one.



The magnificent view of Hout Bay.



Of all the penguins, this one was the best!



We had lunch at a tourist centre just in front of this Cape style house.



If you're lucky they don't bite you and give you rabies.



The Cape of Good Hope, the bane of many a sailor's existence.



Dassies, sweet little dassies. I am not kidding when I say that their closest relative is the African elephant.



I gave this day not one thumb up, but two.



Back at the hostel, with a view of Table Mountain.



The next day was spent in the sun at Clifton Beach (no.4?)



And after that, the climbing of Table Mountain.





One of the last highlights for me was horseriding on the beach at Cintsa.



Mine was named "Girly."



And then I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment